Marriage is not a noun; it's a verb. It isn't something you get. It's something you do. It's the way you love your partner every day. -Ann Landers



Mar 11, 2010

Tu-LiPs

I write this post for myself as a hard lesson learned.


Andy has had to work A LOT lately in order to make ends meet. Meaning he leaves most mornings at 7:00am to work his regular jobs and then goes straight to his side jobs and doesn't come home until 10/11:00pm. Then turns around and works on Saturday's as well. So we have very little time to be together. Long story short, something happened and I ended up disappointed that he broke a promise it ruined the whole weekend. I was furious the rest of the time, and determined not to talk to him because if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all right?!? Sunday night I get home and there are these Tulips sitting on our front porch. I had no idea where they came from and at that point I didn't care. They looked like they were half dead anyway. Monday morning rolled around and there on the front porch still sat these pink Tulips. When Heidi (Andy's sister) came to pick up Logan for the day I told her I didn't know where those came from, and we both laughed about it these half dead Tulips just sitting there. Well, Andy and I went our separate ways to work (still not really speaking) After a long day at work I pulled in the garage, out of the corner of my eye I saw those Tulips still sitting there. Finally I swallowed my pride and asked Andy when he got home if he knew what those were doing just sitting there out in the cold. He looked at the ground and quietly said, "They were for you. I bought them to give to you, but you've been so mad at me all weekend. So I just left them on the porch."
My heart sunk, and I felt really sad. I thought about what a nice surprise it would have been to get those Sunday morning, and how excited Andy gets whenever he has a surprise for me. And earlier that morning I had laughed at the wilted frozen flowers that were for ME. But because I let my frustrations and disappointments get the best of me, I ruined a beautiful Tulip surprise. I walked outside and brought in the sad looking flowers feeling just like they looked. All of them were wilted over the side frozen and in desperate need of water. Staring at them sitting on the counter I now felt ashamed for the way that we had been behaving. I gave them some water, and apologized to Andy and promised that I would try and not let the little things get the best of me anymore.
Now that things are back to normal, and my Tulips have been saved, I will always remember this little lesson I learned. Be slow to anger, and don't sweat the small stuff.
To me these Tulips are like our little Love Fern!"



2 comments:

caseyandmelody said...

Oh Jess... we've all been there. Way to be real. Life isn't perfect and blogs don't need to reflect that we're all just "perfect". I feel that sometimes...that people look at one another's blog and think they have it made, etc. But really we all have our hard times. Thanks for being genuine.

pan x 8 said...

Thanks for posting this Jessica. Because honestly, I just had to read it to decide I'm going to be better at this too!

Tulips are sweet and so is the story!